Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Judicial Separation in Singapore

Judicial Separation in Singapore

Separation in Singapore

According to the Women’s Charter or Chapter 353 in Singapore, divorce may only happen if one of the spouses is a Singapore resident or if one of the spouses has lived in the city-state for at least three years. Spouses must have been legally married for three years before presenting a divorce petition before a Singapore court of justice. One of the strongest grounds for divorce in Singapore is rupture between spouses. The court will consent to separation in one of the following situations:

  • – adultery,
  • – if one of the spouse has left the martial home for a period of time of at least two years,
  • – if spouses have lived apart for three years,
  • – if spouses have lived apart for four years, in which case divorce proceedings will commence immediately.

Divorce is not the only procedure to terminate a marriage in Singapore. According to Singapore laws, other separation proceedings imply marriage annulment and judicial separation. However, if you consider that you need a divorceour divorce lawyer in Singapore can advise you. 

You can contact our law firm in Singapore for legal representation in litigation cases.

What is judicial separation?  

In Singapore, judicial separation is one of the legal ways of living apart without divorcing. If divorce is the legal separation that is decided in a court of law, judicial separation will usually be subject to moral or religious grounds. One of the spouses may apply for judicial separation in Singapore and thus obtain a deed of separation. Spouses must pay attention when applying for judicial separation, as it is not the same this thing with the divorce procedure. Even if granted by court, judicial separation does not allow spouses to remarry.

The deed of separation in Singapore

The deed of separation is a legal document that will contain information about the obligations of married people that do not live together anymore. The deed of separation is signed by both spouses that must agree on custody issues, if children are involved, and the division of assets in case of divorce. The deed of separation is a private document that can be revoked at any time if both spouses’ consent. A deed of separation may also be amended in a Family Court.

 It is advisable to request the legal services of a law firm in Singapore when drafting and signing a deed of separation.

We also invite you to address to our law firm in the case you need other types of services. Our team is qualified to provide legal assistance and representation to foreign nationals who are interested to move to Singapore

Our lawyers can assist in the formalities imposed for the visa application process and can provide any other type of information concerning the issuance of visas. 

You can rely on our immigration lawyer in Singapore for advice on any legal matter concerning immigration law. Our team can advise on the types of visas available under the applicable law, the residence permits one can obtain and the rules concerning permanent residency. 

You can also contact our team if you want to learn more on the process of becoming a citizen of Singapore

If you want to obtain a residence permit in Singapore, please know that you can also apply for permanent residency in certain situations. 

One can obtain permanent residency as a holder of an investment visa, of a visa issued to a foreign spouse of a Singapore citizen/permanent resident or of a visa issued for children with an age below 21 years old, who are the children of a Singapore citizen/permanent resident